One of the blessed fasts honoring Lord Shiva and Maa Parvati is the Pradosh Vrat. It is also referred to as Pradosham and is a significant spiritual observance for Lord Shiva’s followers. On the 13th day of both lunar fortnights, Trayodashi Tithi, the Pradosh period (Sandhya Kala) is when the Pradosh vrat is observed. One of the best times to worship Shiva is during the fortunate Pradosh period, which lasts for three hours (1.5 hours before and after sunset).
Want to get more information about which fast will work for you? Chat with Astrologers Online.
On the Trayodashi tithi of both lunar fortnights, the Pradosh vrat is observed during the Pradosh period (Sandhya Kala). During the Pradosh period on Trayodashi day, it is said that Lord Shiva is incredibly joyful and bestows blessings and wishes upon all of his devotees. Pradosh is a ritual that Shiva worshippers conduct to achieve moksha and realize their goals.
Pradosh Vrat 2023 Dates & Types
A Hindu month has two times when Pradosh vrat falls. The day before Mahashivratri, on Krishna Paksha Trayodashi in the Magha month, is when the Maha Pradosham, the most auspicious of all the Pradosh vrat days in a year, falls. Here are all the dates for the 2023 Pradosh Vrat.
During the Pradosh period on Trayodashi day, it is said that Lord Shiva is incredibly joyful and bestows blessings and wishes upon all of his devotees. Pradosh is a ritual that Shiva worshippers conduct to achieve moksha and realize their goals.
Pradosh Vrat 2023 Dates
Budha Pradosh Vrat January 4, 2023, Wednesday
Guru Pradosh Vrat January 19, 2023, Thursday
Guru Pradosh Vrat February 2, 2023, Thursday
Shani Pradosh Vrat February 18, 2023, Saturday
Shani Pradosh Vrat March 4, 2023, Saturday
Ravi Pradosh Vrat March 19, 2023, Sunday
Soma Pradosh Vrat April 3, 2023, Monday
Soma Pradosh Vrat April 17, 2023, Monday
Budha Pradosh Vrat May 3, 2023, Wednesday
Budha Pradosh Vrat May 17, 2023, Wednesday
Guru Pradosh Vrat June 1, 2023, Thursday
Guru Pradosh Vrat June 15, 2023, Thursday
Shani Pradosh Vrat July 1, 2023, Saturday
Shukra Pradosh Vrat July 14, 2023, Friday
Ravi Pradosh Vrat July 30, 2023, Sunday
Ravi Pradosh Vrat August 13, 2023, Sunday
Soma Pradosh Vrat August 28, 2023, Monday
Bhauma Pradosh Vrat September 12, 2023, Tuesday
Budha Pradosh Vrat September 27, 2023, Wednesday
Budha Pradosh Vrat October 11, 2023, Wednesday
Guru Pradosh Vrat October 26, 2023, Thursday
Shukra Pradosh Vrat November 10, 2023, Friday
Shukra Pradosh Vrat November 24, 2023, Friday
Ravi Pradosh Vrat December 10, 2023, Sunday
Ravi Pradosh Vrat December 24, 2023, Sunday
Types of Pradosh Period (Pradosham)
- Nitya Pradosh: This fast is kept every evening between the times of sunset and when all the stars are visible in the sky.
- Paksha Pradosh: The fourth day after Amavasya is when this vrat is observed.
- Maasa Pradosh: This vrat is practiced twice a month. Every month, on Sandhya Krishna Paksha Trayodashi (the 13th lunar day following the full moon).
- 4. On a Saturday, Krishna Paksha Trayodashi happens during Maha Pradosh, the Sandhya period.
- Pralaya Pradosh: The moment when Lord Shiva is united with or the entire cosmos is destroyed. The woman and husband observe it together on the 13th lunar day following the full and new moon in the hopes of achieving happiness or material prosperity.
Step by step Puja Vidhi
Pradosh Vrat is a very auspicious muhurat and it would be great for you and your life if you follow it with all your devotion and dedication.
- Lord Ganesha should be properly worshipped by God using the shodashopchar method the day before Pradosh vrat, and God should stay awake all night singing the Shiva-Parvati and Lord Ganesha hymns.
- Get rid of domestic tasks and ordinary procedures before sunrise. The time to worship Lord Shiva, Ganesha, Goddess Parvati, Kartika, and Nandi should be the focus of one’s attention.
- In the evening, devote one hour to worshipping Lord Shiva by reciting mantras and offering prayers. Lord Shiva should be worshipped on the third prahar with a variety of flowers, Lal Chandan, Havan, and Panchamrata.
- Water is used to bathe the Shivling, and Bilva leaves are provided. It is also necessary to worship Kartik, Nandi, Ganesha, and Goddess Parvati.
- Pradosh Vrat Puja is believed to be most beneficial at sunset. Create a pavilion at the place of worship with attire and vibrant rangoli.
- Shiva is worshipped with a coconut and a mango leaf set up as a Kalasha filled with water. A lotus is sketched on the water-filled Kalasha, which is covered in darbha grass.
- After that, holy ash and the water used in the puja ceremony are given as “Prasad.” The brow is covered with ash.
- During prayers, a lamp must be lit since it is thought to purify the area.
- The chant being said It is said that reciting the Maha Mrityunjaya Mantra AUM NAMAH SHIVAYA 108 times during this time will be extremely auspicious and beneficial.
- Stay awake all night singing Ganesha and Shiva songs.
- Depending on the day that Pradosh Vrat is observed, listen to the Shiva Purana and the Pradsoh Vrat Katha.
- A Brahmin receives a piece of cloth, a picture of Lord Shiva, and other gifts as part of the festivities’ conclusion.
Pradosh Vrat Katha
This highly intriguing Pradosh Vrat Katha, which is connected to the Samudra Manthan suggested by Lord Vishnu, is recorded in the Puranas. The sea was churned to release the infamous Amrit, which had the power to make anyone live forever. The Amrit and a potent poison with the potential to wipe out the universe were created during the churning process, which involved both Devtas and Asuras.
It was necessary to get rid of this poison, but nobody had a solution. Lord Shiva ultimately saved them by consuming the poison Halahala. His throat hurt, and he began to scream. Goddess Parvati put her hands on Lord Shiva’s throat to soothe his pain and lessen the effects of the poison. On Trayodashi tithi, Lord Shiva was thanked by the Devas and Asuras.
Lord Shiva is said to have danced between the horns of the bull Nandi because he was moved by the devotion. Shiva was happiest in the Pradosham era, which is also known as the Trayodashi tithi’s twilight hour. Since that time, followers practise Pradosh vrat on Trayodashi tithi in order to obtain Lord Shiva’s grace.
Pradosh Vrat Benefits
- Lord Shiva helps people achieve Moksha by eradicating all sins from life when they observe Pradosh Vrat with the utmost devotion. Pradosh Vrat has several advantages that change from day to day. On all the days of Pradosh, the Shani and Som Pradosham are especially significant.
- According to Ravi Pradosh Vrat, observing a fast on Sunday results in a long life, fame, and excellent health.
- Fasting on Monday aids in granting all requests and bringing tranquility into the home, according to the Som Pradosh Vrat.
- Mangal Pradosh Vrat: Tuesday fasting provides relief from financial and health issues.
- Budh Pradosh Vrat: Observing the Wednesday Pradosh vrat results in happiness and the fulfillment of all kinds of aspirations.